Monday, September 17, 2007

recipe du jour



it's that time of year again.

it may not be as romantic

as going to pick apples near

Poughkeepsie

but we do get fresh apples

around these parts, too.


here's what we did with ours this time:

the russians call it Sharlotka.

3 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

2 lb apples, chopped into cubes

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp allspice

1/8 ground ginger

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 T. butter

Beat eggs with sugar on high speed until light and fluffy.

Add flour, baking powder and spices. Mix in apples. Don't worry if

it looks like there are too many apples! The more the better.

Spoon into a big springform pan (11-inch maybe?)
Mix softened butter with brown sugar and sprinkle over top.

Bake at 325 for 45 min. ish.

Voila!

after lovingly placing our cake in the oven,
we turned our music up real loud
and danced around the hallway
(to this if you were wondering, and don't laugh).

(see what happens when husbands aren't around at night?)




7 comments:

Melanie said...

sounds like a great recipe and I bet it smells fantastic as it is cooking!! email me at melaniesmith77@gmail.com, I would love to catch up!!

mer said...

that is so funny. I dance to Mika with Atticus all the time! This recipe looks great. will have to try it!

LKC said...

sounds yummy. Where do you get your apples?

Mindi said...

Yay! A recipe for all those apples we are getting with our farm share! Will any kind of apple work- or do I need a specific kind?
I love your choice of music, btw. :) It took me back to times gone by... nice to know who sings that song now.

jen prokhorov said...

green apples are best. i think i got these at perekrostok. and how does everyone know mika, anyway? i had to move to russia to find this song!

ktb said...

so you totally got me - I am still laughing about the "no comment" on my blog. I thought I was so funny when I put it on yours. So email me: katy_knight@mac.com - I miss you!

Mindi said...

So the air is filled with aroma de sharlotka... i didn't read the green apple suggestion until just now... we'll see how an assortment of other kinds work out. Can it get any easier?! Now to see how it tastes. Thanks for the recipe- any others you want to share? Oh yeah, have you tried this with pears? I have a lot of pears to use...