Friday, March 14, 2008

little

there's no doubt we're
outgrowing our 
small apartment.
she still sleeps
in our room
because there's
really nowhere else
to put her.


but when i come to 
bed at night
and see her sleeping,
i'm glad our apartment
is too small.
i run my hand along
her little body,
stick my finger
in her little hands,
squeeze her little feet,
get down close
enough to smell her
even at the risk of
waking her.
when i'm lucky she
stirs enough to do a 
little baby lip-smacking.
and on that note,
i climb into my bed
and go to sleep.

6 comments:

Emma said...

I know that feeling. What is it about my sweetly sleeping baby that makes me want to wake her up?

Sarah said...

Well, I love your blog and your new little one and I'm excited to be able to "catch up" a little. But I am looking forward to your e-mail.

JaneH said...

Precious moments -- Treasure them

Susan said...

Ohhh, so sweet. I know that smell. I miss that smell...

Mindi said...

:) I know just what you mean... even though Jack is in his own room, and in his own bed, most nights... I always love to bring him into our bed when he awakes, to cuddle for those last few hours of sleep.

d/b/c/m said...

loved this!

i, too, love having my babies in my room. i think small houses are healthy in that respect.

and, as always, i love your writing style.