Tuesday, September 8, 2009

parrots



being a parent is, before all,
a school of patience.
there are some facets of it, of course,
that require less of it than others.
teaching her to sew that parrot
one small stitch at a time
is not one of those things.

but then i have to stop and remind myself
of how long it still takes me
to learn one thing or another.
i still fall on my face plenty,
i still make the same mistakes over and over.

and so we carry on,
her taking 8 tries to get the right hole
on the parrot,
and me trying to learn something
by each fall.

2 comments:

happyfamily said...

Ours recently has been learning to play "Jenga", the classic block stacking game. My children lack the logic that if 2 pieces are missing from a row, removing the third will knock it over.

Not a game to be played if you are short on patience.

JaneH said...

Patience.... the name of the game.
And it's all worth it in the end.