Thursday, January 21, 2010

old pillow




and i keep wondering
when that colossal mountain of clothing
is going to put itself away. . .

what is it like
to come home
after a virtually 6-month absence?
i forgot where i keep my cheese grater.
i can't stand my old favorite pillow.
it took me a minute to find
the highly-used recirc button in my car.
i wondered why our bottled water
that we also run through a brita filter
still was tasting terrible--
to later discover that the inside of the pitcher
was lined with mold.
i glanced down at the speedometer in my car
out of habit,
with the realization that i don't think
i've ever looked at it before.
i'm sharpening back up
my aggressive driving skills
(survival!),
and hauling those 10 bags in the door,
alex declared that unpacking
used to be a sort of fun game,
but the joke isn't funny anymore.
we are bursting at the seams
in our 550 square feet.
and alas,
our time has come
to search for a new abode.



3 comments:

Emma said...

And I thought we were barely getting by with 3 of us in 450 square feet. Good luck with the search!

DeAnn said...

550 square feet?! I thought we were dying with 1200! We're looking forward to 2400 in our new home in Ohio next week.

LKC said...

BEREGOVAYA!!!