Tuesday, April 20, 2010

gathered around Jesus




there's only one picture
i remember from the bedroom walls
of my childhood.
i think i remember only this one
because i thought it was of me.

i believed that it was
my brothers and sister and i
gathered around Jesus,
my older sister staring into His eyes
while my two brothers and i
stood nearby awaiting our turn.
it was a poignant memory for me--
one stored away in the back of my mind
for all these years.

and as the girls
recently began singing to me
that new song they're learning in primary
"a long time ago in a beautiful place
children were gathered around Jesus,"
as the lights are down
and i'm tucking them in,
that memory came back to me.

i pulled out that print,
had it framed
and hung it between their two beds.
it may not mean as much to them now,
but perhaps
they will have a similar memory someday.



7 comments:

Mindi said...

I love that song. I love that picture. I love that wallpaper!

rushton family archives said...

It's funny you should write about this song today.

I woke up with it in my head this morning. The "I know he lives" part always gets to me. One, it's way too high for me to sing. Second, the kids sound so beautiful singing it!

-c

uniquelynat said...

my mom had a very large print of that picture. it always hung in the family room. and it has always been one of my favorites. i think i thought the same thing- only in the picture I was the one that was standing in front of Jesus...simply because I wanted it to be that way. i recently ordered myself one of those prints. i have yet to frame it. but i want to hang it in my boy's room. (because the girl already has one in hers)

Davian said...

you and me both, friend. i got that picture for violet for the exact same reasons. funny enough, when i showed it to her, she said, "there is violet. there i am!"

Ann said...

I love even that small glimpse of their room. So elegant, and that's quite a feat for a standard church print.

OnGod'sErrand said...

That picture was given to me by a dear friend when your baby brother passed away. It hung on the wall as a reminder of him now being held in the arms of the Savior. Your sweet spirit sensed that even at your tender young age and I know that's part of the reason this print is so precious to you (and to all of us in the family).

Rachel said...

That is one of the few pictures I remember from my childhood, as well...and it is only because I thought the picture was of ME with Jesus! LOL! We miss you all!